Pages

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Adventure: Urban Bazaar

I had been hearing a lot from my friend Stephanie about Urban Bazaar in San Francisco. It is a new-ish, women-owned gift store that sells locally handmade and fair trade items. The store sells some of Stephanie's work, and I went with her and a couple of her friends to check it out Saturday morning. The store has a great backyard area and they were having a small craft fair while we were there.




The store itself is fairly small but packed with all sorts of great gift items including jewelry, art, cards, accessories, clothing...well, lots of things. 


Stephanie and Mark check out some goodies
Busy with shoppers


Stepping outside to the backyard I made a beeline for the succulents which the store has quite a selection of in these handmade rock gardens:




These wallet/card holders by Heathered were my personal favorite thing I saw in the craft fair. They are constructed out of a variety of materials including vintage maps, news clippings, postcards, recipes AND expired Muni Fast Passes (which have become popular with artists in San Francisco due to their interesting color schemes!):




The recipe picture ones were my favorite. "Vintage" Jello always has such great colors!

Of course while I was at the store I had to check out Stephanie's items, it was the first time I saw one of her glitter zipper pouches in person, and they are even more incredible when you see one right in front of you.


My camera skills not really doing the glitter pouches justice, but trust me!

Its nice to see a small independent business flourishing in San Francisco, as well as some fellow handmade artists. Check out Urban Bazaar next time you are looking for a unique gift. 


Urban Bazaar is located at 1371 9th Ave between Irving and Judah, San Francisco, 415-664-4422, http://www.urbanbazaarsf.com

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for coming to Vagabond and Urban Bazaar Tricia! It was loverly meeting you and we hope to see you again.
    Thank you also for writing about us, we are most honoured!

    -Urban Bazaar

    ReplyDelete