Pages

Monday, May 2, 2011

Inspiration: Long-Necked Cats

I'm sure everyone has noticed those vintage cat figurines with the long necks. Did cats in the 1950's/1960's have longer necks than they do now? Who started making these to begin with that they soon became the standard for all cat figurines? Why did they eventually stop making them with long necks and start making cat figurines with regular necks? I have thought about this for a long time and my questions were renewed when my friend Gina gave me a new long necked cat that she spotted in a flea market and thought "Tricia needs that" (she knows me well, we have been friends for 14 years...):

New brass long necked cat

Here are some others in my collection:

Shadowbox cats
Wall mounted cats
These guys look like they are up to no good
Danish teak cats. Gift from Sara.


I tried to do a little internet research to find out what the origin of these figurines is, but came up short. I guess we can just chalk it up to a "trend" in figurine production in the middle of the 20th century. Whatever the reason, I think they are very cute and very inspirational. 

2 comments:

  1. modern long neck cat night light!
    http://www.offi.com/products/offikids/MEGSIAM.php?p2c=264#top

    ReplyDelete