Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Celebrity Home Visit: Amy Sedaris

Amy at her wine cork typewriter (Image from "Simple Times: Crafts for Poor People")


Amy Sedaris' West Village apartment was featured this week in New York Magazine and I felt like I wanted to share it because its just so unusual and well more...fun than lets face it, all of our homes put together.

If you are not familiar with Amy, she is best know as Jerri Blank from "Strangers with Candy", but she has also written/co-written a number of plays and books, most recently, "Simple Times: Crafts for Poor People". I was given this book by my friend Megan, and I can say first hand that it is hilarious, bizarre and a perfect illustration of Amy's dark, off-beat style (Think half kitschy craft book and half cough medicine fueled fever dream). While it is a humor book, Amy actually is an avid crafter and has a dedicated crafting area in her home:



Amy's crafting area (Photo: NY Mag)

Amy is a big fan of unusual objects such as taxidermied animals and "fake foods" made out of plaster. She told NY1 in an interview that she doesn't have anything in her home that doesn't have a story, which I think is very cool, and wish I could say about my own (sure there are stories behind some things, but a lot of "That's cute, I want it" too).


Some of Amy's fake foods. This photo is from her previous apartment. (Photo: NYT)


Aside from the flocked silhouette wallpaper and wigs neatly hung on pegs in this hallway, Amy has 60 wooden flying bats that she had an artist make for her after finding two of them at a flea market and wanting more:


Photo: NY Mag


The lampshade here is made out of hair color samples like you would find in a hair salon:


Photo: NY Mag

 I hope this little trip to Amy Sedaris' house encourages you to be more adventurous in your home decorating! Check out her YouTube channel for demonstrations of some her "crafts for poor people".

No comments:

Post a Comment